Last Thursday, was the 10th annual amfAR gala in Los Angeles.
On Thursday October 19th, we attended the Daniel E. Straus & CareOne Starry Night Masquerade for Puerto Rico Relief at Skylight Clarkson North in New York City where $4 Million were raised to help the cause. JoJo and Pitbull were the musical performers. Notable guests included Chanel Iman, Danielle Brooks, Joan Smalls, Victor Cruz and Johannes Huebl.
As guests entered the venue, they were greeted by masked models wearing shorts with the Puerto Rican flag printed on them. They set the tone with big trays full of masks so every guest could select the perfect mask to let them enjoy the night and most importantly support Puerto Rico.
Jason Carroll from CNN was co-hosting the night along with Daniel and Lizzie Straus. He spoke of his time in Aguadilla, and the shock of the lack of reach that the resources had in places outside of San Juan.
He went on to introduce Daniel and Lizzie Straus along with the wonderful initiatives that CareOne has funded. The assisted living company from New Jersey has helped not only with Puerto Rico, but with various causes such as Make A Wish, Breast Cancer Foundation, Hurricane Sandy Relief and more.
Once Jojo took the stage as the first performer of the night, she made sure to let guests know how important the event was for her. “Puerto Rico means a lot to me, I went there not for work but because I love it!” said Jojo before gracing the crowd with a throwback favorite, Leave (Get Out).
After warming up with Jojo, Pitbull took over the stage with his recognizable Latin flare and a set of vivacious dancers. But before the fun and the dancing began, Pitbull made a point to share his reason to be part of the event. “To help those that are really in need.”
The night peaked when the Miami native sang Timber, a crowd favorite, and the sign that everyone was having a wonderful time. He went on to perform I Know You Want Me (Calle Ocho), Echa Pa’lla (Manos Pa’rriba), Fireball, Hotel Room Service and ended the evening with Give Me Everything.
The perfect closure to the night was to hear the father daughter duo, Daniel and Lizzie Straus announce that they had raised over four million dollars for Puerto Rico.
Out and about in LA during Grammy weekend, myself and other specially invited guests stopped by Quixote Studios in West Hollywood Saturday evening for the 20th Annual Friends N’ Family Grammy Party event.
NOW That’s What I Call Music 61! includes JoJo among its six Now What’s Next contenders
Freshly off tour with Fifth Harmony, JoJo stopped by New York to treat us to “Mad Love” live!
If you were on Instagram or Facebook this weekend, it’s likely that you saw at least one mention of BeautyCon on either platforms. BeautyCon made it’s way to New York City on Saturday, hosting the event by Pier 36. For beauty obsessed teens and women alike, this was the event to be at with meets up with YouTube beauty and style gurus, steep discounts on products from Tarte and QVC, and freebies and contests hosted by Proactiv+ and Essie.
BeautyCon events were held in threefold. On one end of the room, a seating arrangement was set up for the different panels of the day. Panelists included Jay Manuel, Lo Bosworth, Sprinkle of Glitter, Maddi Bragg, Chrisette Michelle, Angel Merino, and Bethany Mota, among others. The rest of the room was filled with different brands and vendors offering complimentary services, freebies, and fan favorites from brands like Tarte Cosmetics, Physician’s Formula, Ricky’s NYC, and Elizabeth Arden. Outside the event space was exclusively for meet and greets, food service, and performances by JoJo, Madison Beer, Poppy, and Jovanie.
- QVC gave customers the chance to pick four products for a large selection to take home for free. (This line was never-ending, people ended up purchasing food and eating it on the line because it took so long. Totally worth it though, considering the dedication of these girls, the products must have been amazing.)
- Essie held a give a-away contest. They had a full mani bar and when beauty goers posted a picture of their manis on Instagram, they were instantly entered to win a full wall of Essie.
- Pro-Active held an interactive game where you could win anything from the facial brush to the three-piece collection.
Being that this was my BeautyCon Event ever, I picked up a few things:
- Wear comfortable shoes. The conference space was huge and before the day’s end, I had made several laps around the space. Also, with the amount of people that were there (A LOT), it got really hot, really fast. Wear removable layers, I repeat, wear layers. I wore a sweater and coat because it was freezing on Saturday. But even with taking off my coat, I was sweating.
- Bringing your kids? No fear. BeautyCon had planned perfectly by creating a parents lounge. The space had water and drinks available for parents to unwind with while their kids shopped.
- Arrive early. There were so many give always or sales that ran out of product midway through the day.
- Bring both cash and credit/debit cards with you. Certain vendors only accepted cash, so come prepared with both.
- Lines will be long, very, very long. Come with your friends and have fun! There’s so much to do and look at, there’s something for everyone.
For those who couldn’t make it, you can still get in on the fun by subscribing to the BeautyCon BFF Box. The box is curated by BeautyCon and industry insiders and includes the newest beauty products. There are two types of subscription options: either yearly or seasonal. With both subscriptions, boxes will be shipped four times a year, but the payment schedule differs. Learn more about it here.
The Fader magazine recently teamed up with vitaminwater for a five day music series titled #Uncapped. Thursday night marked day three, which featured Atlantic recording artist JoJo.
JoJo is back and in full throttle with three new tracks whilst preparing for the release of her third album!