Philip Lim’s FW 19 show evoked the audience to ‘expand the conversation’.
He displayed his commitment to sustainability with 60 percent of the collection being created with natural fibers and the other 40 percent with recycled materials. He recently spoke about this shift towards purposeful and conscious fashion at the United Nations alongside the Woolmark Company who Lim has partnered with to enhance this aspect of his business.
Lim’s latest offering had a decidedly modest tone drawing parallel to Marie Kondo’s methods of eradicating the unnecessary and highlighting items that ‘spark joy’. This was interpreted into structured cocoon sleeve jackets over billowing wide-leg pants, demure utility jackets with contrast stitching and commercial interpretations of wool capes layered with midi dresses. The inclusiveness of form and volume was complimented by crisp tailoring. Ankle cinched boots and strapped pointed shoes dominated the footwear realm.
The color palette encompassed neutral colors such as olive green, brown, grey, white and black followed by a memorable zebra print. An array of fluid black leather pieces, which were created with ethically, sourced leather kept in tone with an emerging trend this season.
Away from the overwhelming crowd of fashion week bloggers and influencers the show space was located on 5th Avenue with a somewhat minimalistic notion that brought about a sense of tranquility.
Front row guests included Delilah Belle, Ashley Graham, Karrueche Tran, Hannah Bronfman/ Fellow designers Jason Wu and Prabal Gurung were also in attendance to watch their friend’s latest collection at Centre 415. As the Official Water of the show, FIJI Water lined each front row seat and hydrated models backstage.
Photo Credit: Mike Vitelli/BFA.com