When it comes to leveling up our health, we often go straight to workouts and diet! We exercise endlessly, throw out the bread, and bring in the avocados! However, when it comes to achieving fitness goals, there is no secret: a well-rounded approach is the way to go. Real, long-lasting results come from applying the 5 pillars of health! What are they?
- Food Choices: With so much information available, it’s hard to know where to start! Keep it simple: focus on what you can reduce (hint: sugar and processed foods), and what you can add in! Start by adding one HUGE serving of veggies to every meal. Then, focus on building a balanced plate: add a lean protein source, a clean carb, and a serving of healthy fat. Before you know it, those taste buds will begin to evolve, and you’ll be craving those whole foods — mark my words!
- Water Intake: Staying hydrated is beneficial and necessary. Water allows for easier digestion, efficient nutrient transportation, reduced water retention, increased focus and clarity, plus endless skin benefits! To increase hydration, try setting water reminders in your phone, getting a cute water bottle to tote around, or adding some fresh fruit combinations to shake things up.
- Sleep: Rest plays a vital role in weight loss and overall health — it’s when our bodies and muscles literally repair themselves and recharge. It’s not just the amount of sleep, but the quality of sleep that counts! Make your nightly sleep routine a priority and wake up feeling refreshed!
- Movement: Whether you’re an advanced, fitness enthusiast or a workout newbie — just move your body. Start with a walk. Try a class with a friend! If you need some guidance, don’t be afraid to hire a trainer. To switch up your workouts, try adding high intensity training to your week, or lift some weights — no, you won’t get bulky! Keep the movement going – it’s necessary for your body, and your soul!
- Stress Release: Relieving stress reduces cortisol (a stress hormone) levels. High cortisol levels are linked to physical and mental changes such as weight gain, anxiety, depression, and sleep problems, just to name a few. Learn to manage stress! Try guided meditations, breathwork, or journaling prompts. If your stress seems overwhelming, contact a medical professional who can support you to identify root-causes to your stress. Sometimes speaking about it is enough to feel a release.
Remember, consistency is key! The results you want come from progress, not perfection. Apply these 5 pillars to your daily health routine and watch yourself transform… inside and out!
Sherry Advani is an attorney-turned NASM certified personal trainer and mindset coach located in Southern California. With a huge emphasis on the power of words, she created “befriend body” to train busy professionals worldwide to create long-lasting habits while being on the same team as their bodies. She trains corporate clients virtually and in-person, and puts mindset and empowerment into every one of her programs. For more, visit www.befriendbody.com.