Our friends over at Matrix shared the inspiration for Rita Ora and Tori Kelly’s VMA hair.
Stylist: Chris Appleton
Photo Credit: Steve Granitz
We have a lot of fun creating different looks for Rita. For this look, the paneling on her dress inspired me. I wanted to bring that detailing into her hair to create an overall look that was cohesive. I took Rita’s hair color back to Platinum because I feel that it not only enhances the dress, but for me, it makes an iconic statement. Using products such as Matrix SOCOLOR can give you this beautiful platinum look!
Step by Step:
- Since Rita’s hair has a great natural curly hair texture, I prepped the hair with Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner Anti Frizz Leave in Treatment
- Then, I blowdried the hair, using a combination of Matrix StyleLink Smooth Setter Smoothing Creamand Matrix Stylelink Turbo Dryer. We blow-dried her hair with a flat brush to give it a smooth, sleek look.
- Next, I divided her hair into clean sections with Matrix StyleLink Shape Switcher, tying off each section.
- I created six ponytails that are interconnected, and applied Matrix StyleLink Heat Buffer, before flat ironing out her look.
- We finished it off with some spritzes of Matrix StyleLink Style Fixerto fix it off to ensure that the look stayed put all night. I stayed away from using anything volumizing, or anything with too much of a dry texture, as I wanted to keep the look very smooth and sleek!
Stylist: Nikki Providence
Photo Credit: Frazer Harrison
Tori was blessed with lots of beautiful naturally curly hair – when you have curly hair, the most important thing is to keep it healthy and use products that support the natural texture.
TIP: To get Tori’s blonde locks, use Matrix SOCOLOR for radiant color!
- Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioneris great to prep hair like Tori’s because it cleans the hair without stripping its natural oils.
- When her hair was wet, I applied Matrix StyleLink Volume Builderat the roots.
- Next, spread a generous amount of Matrix StyleLink Smooth Setterwith a few drops of Matrix StyleLink Volume Booster at the roots throughout mid lengths making sure to distribute it evenly through the ends.
- Part the hair deeply on one side. Take 2-inch sections of hair and twist them into ropes- diffuse gently without disturbing the twists, until the hair is completely dry.
- Using your hands, shake the hair out at the roots to boost volume and separate the curls slightly. If any areas need a boost, now is the time to use a medium sized curling iron to touch up waves- make sure to keep the natural movement in the hair, don’t make every section uniform!
- At the roots, use Matrix StyleLink Height Riser, and finish with Matrix StyleLink Volume Fixerto keep the volume through red carpet and performance!