Woodley Park got served some slightly spicy sausages last week thanks to Citi’s Taste of Tennis food truck outside of the Omni Shoreham Hotel in Washington, DC.
Let’s set the scene. Fluffy white clouds dotted a picture-perfect bright blue sky as U2’s Beautiful Day played in the background. Tennis fans and families alike mingled amongst oversized fluorescent yellow tennis balls and crossed their fingers in hopes of scoring a free vacation via the event’s raffle. As for the food truck itself–the fun and festive designs on the truck’s exterior barely held a match to the boxes of modern Indian cuisine that filled the inside. Chef Jassi Bindra, Executive Chef of Punjab Grill in DC, brought all of the flavor and then some. Speaking to the crowd, Chef Bindra gave a genuine shoutout to everyone who attended his first stop of the week, before his delectable dishes made their second appearance at the Citi Open on Wednesday.
We tried the Merguez Sausage with Channa Masala Hummus and a Carrot Turshi on the side–all complimentary for followers of @tasteoftennis on Instagram. The taste of cumin really stood out in the dish, and the lavender cocktail passed out to guests by the Omni’s generous hospitality staff, truly made for a spectacular combination. Also up for grabs was a Japanese dumpling dish for the tennis fans who wanted a pass on the sausages. All in all, the Taste of Tennis was a feel-good summer event in DC and promises to bring the same positive vibes to foodies and tennis fans alike in New York City for the rest of the month.
The Taste of Tennis 2021 Food Truck Tour will be making more stops in NYC throughout August. Check out where you can catch some of dishes from world-class chefs in the city.
- AUG 11: CARY LEEDS CENTER FOR TENNIS & LEARNING, 12 PM – 2 PM
- AUG 12: CITI HEADQUARTERS TRIBECA, 11 AM – 1 PM
- AUG 17: PEDESTRIAN PLAZA @ UNION SQUARE, 11:30AM – 1:30PM
- AUG 18: PEDESTRIAN PLAZA @ UNION SQUARE, 11:30AM – 1:30PM
- AUG 19: PEDESTRIAN PLAZA @ UNION SQUARE, 11:30AM – 1:30PM
- AUG 24: BLACK BARN RESTAURANT, 5 PM – 7 PM
- AUG 25: THE BENJAMIN HOTEL, 5 PM – 7 PM
- AUG 26: CITI TASTE OF TENNIS CELEBRATION AT TAVERN ON THE GREEN