Glamour took center stage on the last day of fashion week with J. Mendel’s RTW Fall 2016 collection.
While undoubtedly glamorous, there was an understated elegance to the collection. Mendel, known for his award show ready designs, shined not only in evening wear, but also in separates.
The show started off strong with a black striped white fur parka over a futuristic dress with high slit paired with black and white striped booties.
It continued with more sporty separates, like the same mink coat over a silk top and tuxedo trousers. Highlights included a waterproof silk parka with lynx trim over white trousers and a silk top that would have made any Sundance goer jealous and an oversized black fur coat over black tuxedo trousers paired with a sexy see through top.
Next up were a series of looks in bright blue and red, certainly an unexpected color palette. A bright red and blue dress featured a strategically placed cutout and a black and red fur stole while a red fur coat was worn over a brightly patterned skirt that had peacock like features.
Clearly, floral is in this fall as several of the looks featured at least a portion of the pattern. One red dress included embroidered flowers at the top, while another floor length gown was covered in a simple black and white floral pattern.
As usual, the gowns were showstoppers. With intricate detailing, creative cutouts, and asymmetrical hems, there was a sense of innovation in each creation. Top looks included a sequined sweetheart top over a black skirt, a black and white gown with high slit and translucent floral appliqué laid diagonally across the front, and a shimmering metallic dark green gown that reminded us of leaves as the model walked down the runway.
But as elegant as the looks were, the beauty was understated and simple. The hair was slicked back in simple ponies while the makeup was fresh faced.
Beauty.com provided the complete look with the hair done by Recine using PHYTO and The Beachwaver Co., the makeup and skin by Romy Soleimani using Kevyn Aucoin and ARCONA, and nails by Geraldine Halford using Londontown.
To recreate the looks, here’s how to do it:
GET THE LOOK: HAIR
- Create a clean part down the middle of the head, blow drying the hair withThe Beachwaver Co. Pro Dry (coming soon to Beauty.com)
- Flair iron the hair section by section using The Beachwaver Co. Coast Pro Ceramic Styling Iron
- For added shine, smooth PHYTO Professional Intense Volume Mousseover the front of the hair
- Lightly brush the hair to create an eye level pony tail and secure with a hook elastic
- Mist with PHYTO Phytolaque Soie Finishing Spray and a touch ofPHYTO Professional Workable Holding Spray
- Smooth fly-aways with PHYTO Phytokératine Extrême Exceptional Cream (coming soon to Beauty.com)
GET THE LOOK: SKINCARE
- Cleanse the skin using ARCONA Triad Pads followed by ARCONA Desert Mist pressed into the skin. For added hydration, apply ARCONA Magic Dry Ice to the face
- Finish the look with ARCONA Wine Oil (coming soon to Beauty.com) for added glow
GET THE LOOK: MAKEUP
- Apply Kevyn Aucoin Luminous Foundation (coming soon to Beauty.com) throughout the face followed by Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer as needed where redness occurs
- Brush the brows upwards using Kevyn Aucoin Precision Brow Pencil for a clean look
- Starting in the center of the lower lash line, apply Kevyn Aucoin Precision Eye Definer in Evergreen and blend outwards. Define the outer corners of the eyes by lining one quarter of the upper lash line using the same Kevyn Aucoin Precision Eye Definer in Evergreen.
- Diffuse the lower lash line using Kevyn Aucoin The Eyeshadow Duo in Frosted Jade
- Apply Kevyn Aucoin Eye Gloss (coming soon to Beauty.com) to the inner corners of the eye and orbital crescent to highlight
- Finish the look by pressing a bit of Kevyn Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer mixed with Kevyn Aucoin The Lipgloss in Nerinese for a hydrated gleam
GET THE LOOK: NAILS