Day of the dead is fast-approaching, but famed brew co. Estrella Jalisco is giving us life!
The endlessly inventive beer company just launched a pop-up art installation at the 35,000 sq ft art entertainment park Wisdome in DTLA that hopes to highlight the history surrounding the holiday, while tugging at the heartstrings and getting you a little drunk.
There are four geodisic domes, each with a different theme, each designed for soothing but grandiose visual impact. Famed Director Robert Rodriguez provides a touching voiceover in each room, inviting attendees to think of loved ones and try various beer-based drinks.
It was all very effective and affective. A calm washes over you as you take in the serene lighting and Rodriguez’s haunting and beautiful words. The final dome, a room strewn with paper butterflies, is the most powerful moment of the proceedings. You’re invited to write messages to loved ones on the butterflies, an experience that, when paired with lush sound design and stunning scenery, will make you tear up a bit.
The drinks themselves are divine, especially the Michelada cocktails, expertly-mixed offerings that lean more toward sweet than savory. They’re also not terribly boozy, so you can have a few and still feel like one of God’s children. My fave was the floral micheleda, which tastes exactly how it sounds. It’s airy and light and stays with you long after you sip.
You’d be wise to get in on this installation quick; it ends Nov 1st and will surely be Uber-popular. Speaking of which, take an Uber to the event. We don’t want to be celebrating YOU during next year’s day of the dead.
- Name: A New Día presented by Estrella Jalisco
- Address: Wisdome LA, 1147 Palmetto Street, Los Angeles, CA
- Dates Open: October 18 – November 1
- Hours: 5pm – 11pm (Wednesdays, Thursdays), 5pm – 12am (Fridays), 11am – 12am (Saturdays), 11am-11pm (Sundays)
- Your readers can purchase tickets for $29 at: https://wisdome.la/anewdia
- Estrella Jalisco will be available for consumers to purchase at the bars located within the exhibition
- Join the conversation online @EstrellaJalisco #ANewDia
- Must be 21 and over to enter