Ai answers questions about his monumental refugee crisis film project.
The documentary is the latest film work of Chinese dissident Ai Weiwei
Artist Johny Dar debuted his Spring 17 series of 100 jeans at New York Fashion Week this season- “an affirmation that each human being has a unique and equal value”. Each pair of jeans was donated by a celebrity and hand decorated by Johny Dar. The jeans will be auctioned off under the “Jeans for Refugees” campaign, and proceeds will help raise funds for refugees worldwide.
Jeans painted by John Dar were donated by celebrities including: Alicia Vikander, Anna Wintour, Candice Swanepoel, Chanel Iman, Claudia Schiffer, Elle MacPherson, Emma Watson, Eva Longoria, Florence Welch, Karlie Kloss, Karolina Kurkova, Kate Moss, Rachel McAdams, Shannon Elizabeth, Sharon Stone, Sofia Coppola, Tuppence Middleton, Twiggy and Victoria Beckham. The bare-chested male models sported jeans donated by Benicio del Toro, Daniel Radcliffe, Harry Styles, Jamie Theakston, Joaquin Phoenix, Nicholas Hoult, Ozzy Osbourne, Tom Waits, Guillaume Néry and Usher.
Before the show, we stepped backstage to speak with lead hair stylist Ammon Carver with L’anza Healing Haircare. Each jean design originated with the donors personality and style- when asked how he went about melding the styles cohesively, Carver showed us the creation of the look. Carver opted for both twist braids and the traditional three strand at the front of the head, letting out at the back to a soft wave.
Keratin Healing Oil Treatment in conjunction with L’anza Healing Style Molding Paste was used to add shine and extra hold to create the braids.
How The Look Was Created:
- Prep hair with L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment to nourish and condition the hair.
- Before braiding apply L’ANZA Healing Style Molding Paste for control, hold and definition. It also thickens hair density without flaking or cracking for more dramatic-looking braids.
- Create French roll braids (taking a small section, separate it into 3 parts, twist then roll the first 2 parts of the section counterclockwise before integrating the bottom third into the braid in the same direction). Start at the top, then down the sides while following the curve of the head, widening the braids as they reach the nape.
- To create more space between the braids as well as definition, make small one-sided micro-braids alongside each larger braid before moving to the next.
- Repeat until 6-8 braids with micro-braided spacers are completed.
- Bring all braids to the center of the nape of the neck and secure.
- Loosely curl remaining braid-free hair underneath with a 1½-inch curling iron, brush through, then separate strands for smooth, loose, deconstructed texture to contrast braids. Apply L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Treatment as needed for extra, weightless shine.
- Finish with a light spray of firm-hold L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Lustrous Finishing Spray to hold the look in place. This also fights against frizz-causing humidity.
L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment
L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment builds body and strength with concentrated healing actives while replenishing optimal moisture and restoring elasticity and shine. An ultra-healing blend of Keratin Protein and Phyto IV Complex combine to leave hair incredibly soft and smooth with a healthy, radiant shine. Ideal for all hair types and free of sulfates, parabens, gluten and sodium chloride.
MSRP: $44.00 (100ml)
L’ANZA Healing Style Molding Paste
L’ANZA Healing Style Molding Paste works as a multi-purpose styling gel with a strong hold, while adding thickness and density to hair. This versatile paste adds separation with low sheen. The alcohol-free formula stays flexible so hair will not crack or flake. Ideal for all hair types, it works especially well with fine hair.
MSRP: $24.00 (200ml)
L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Lustrous Finishing Spray
Ideal for all hair types, L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Lustrous Finishing Spray provides an ultra long-lasting, firm hold. Fast-drying, flake-free and humidity resistant, it adds instant shine to any look, along with UV protection for hair color.
MSRP: $28.00 (350ml)
Hundreds of people were rescued from a capsized boat south of the island of Crete on Friday; many more are missing, some are expected to be dead.