World renowned Fashion Designer, Zang Toi debuted his autumn/winter 2017 collection during New York Fashion Week.
Known for his elegance and romance, this season he chooses the hairstyle that embodies just that: the French Twist Chignon. We got a chance to chat with lead hairstylist Eiji Yamane and Macadamia Professional representative, Anna Lyles about the hair inspiration and step-by-step – how to on recreating the look.
Here’s what Eiji had to say:
On Inspiration: The inspiration was a french twist. Normally the French twist is wide so the idea was to angle it this way (vertically) to get a younger look. Also to make it a bit different, add more shape, and make it shiny.
On teaming up with Zang Toi: We are working together for a long time, 18 years, we’re from John Sahag salon, it’s good.
On Spring 2017 hair trends to try: I think it’s a lot of bangs and a lot of wavy hair, you know. Just a lot of shaggy. Even long hair is getting bored so I think, try a lot of layers.
Here is what Anna Lyles had to say:
On technique and products used to achieve the look: We smoothed out everyone’s texture and gave heat protection with our blow dry lotion. It adds a little bit of shine and helps smooth the cuticles. It also makes the hair nice and straight and workable. We used a little whip detailing cream just to hit the little baby hair fly-aways. It makes the ponytail more moldable but a very light amount that we warm up in our hands and then apply it. Then we added long extension pieces to make a larger than life chignon. It is round and has a lot of body. We wanted to see a bit of dimension so we put a couple of the hair weft in one direction and the third going in another direction, so we see a little bit of that hair movement in the chignon.
On best Macadamia Professional products for Spring: For spring, my favorites would be the blow dry lotion because it helps to prepare the hair and gives heat protection which is really important but also it lets your hair be super free, and soft, and have a natural movement. Also for spring the root boosting spray which gives the hair fullness, and grip, and volume, with no residue and a nice light airy finish to the hair.
Get The Look with this Step-by-Step – How To!
- Evenly distribute Macadamia Professional Blow Dry Lotion, section hair and blow dry.
- Create a central part and pull back into low ponytail at the nape of the neck – pulling tightly to ensure the top of the head is smooth and sleek.
- Separate ponytail into three sections and braid all the way through the length of the ponytail. Secure ends with an elastic.
- Fold new braid in half. After you tucked the braid up, pin it into place with the bobby pins.
- Using a hair extension matching the color of hair, take one section and clip it under the braid and curling up, create a large loop wrapping around to the right side of the braid. Secure with bobby pins.
- Repeat step 5 at the top section and middle section to create a loose, “crescent” chignon, ensuring the inside braid is completely covered.
- Spray with Macadamia Professional Style Lock Strong Hold Hairspray to look in place.
- Using a comb, gently smooth out all hair that is pulled back one last time and apply Macadamia Professional Whipped Detailing Cream to tame any flyaways.
- To complete the look, liberally spray Macadamia Professional Weightless Moisture Dry Oil Micro Mist for added shine and luster.
Photos by: Tammy B