On Saturday, September 12th, Oscar de la Renta’s design alum, Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia, debuted the SS16 MONSE collection at the Norwood Club as part of New York Fashion Week.
The highly selective members only arts and culture club served as the perfect venue to display the moody and sexy collection. Models weaved throughout the decadent brownstone amidst the gorgeous interiors and into the private yard allowing for all guests to be in the first and second rows with naturally premium views.
MONSE’s debut collection proved itself to be a fresh new force in modern Ready to Wear. With a selection of bold and feminine pieces, the collection featured luxury fabrics with discreet finishes and impeccable detail. There was an almost constant re-structuring of the timeless button down shirt that was playful yet elegant. The palette featured black and white with the occasional metallic and rich jewel tones. Every piece had a sophistical feel with just the right amount of sex appeal.
To complement the feel of the collection, butter LONDON’s Global Colour Ambassador Katie Janes Hughes provided the perfect beauty look by pairing a bold eye with fresh skin and pale lip. Backstage, The Knockturnal had the chance to speak with her and get the inside scoop on the look including a sneak peak at some yet-to-be-released 2016 products. Hughes told us, “The detailing on the eye was inspired by the detailing and the stripes in the collection. The stripes on the eyes are kept really neat and really fine-tuned.”
Here’s a step by step on how to re-create the look:
For the eyes:
- Using Smoke Stick in Night Shift (Matte black smoke shade), lightly sweep product into the natural crease of the eye as a base.
- Using MAC Fix+, wet a skinny eyeliner brush through the center of the crease base shade to intensify the middle of the line.
- With a q-tip tipped in Bioderma, press off excess with fingers and fine tune the edges of the crease to sharpen the line.
- Finish the eye with Double Decker Mascara (2016) solely on the top lashes.
For the skin:
- Apply Charlotte Tilbury Light Wonder with fingers, working from center of the face outwards.
- Using Charlotte Tilbury The Retoucher, conceal minor blemishes and under eye circles.
- Buff in the Laura Mercier translucent loose powder for a shine free velvety finish.
- Spritz skin with Skyn Iceland Facial Mist to set the makeup and create a natural finish.
For the brows:
- Skim MAC Brow Set in Clear delicately through the brown without touching the skin beneath for a natural, bushy brow effect.
For the lips:
- Press Plush Rush Lipstick in Buzzed (2016) into the top and bottom lip.
- Lightly press Plush Rush Lipstick in Free (2016) over the top of the darker shade to create a mauve and nude lip.
For the nails:
- Apply two coats of Butter London’s Patent she 10X Nail Laquer in Shop Girl to create a simple and elegant look.
Special thanks to skyn ICELAND, the official skincare partner for inviting us backstage and skyn ICELAND President and Founder, Sarah Kugelman.