Apparel brand RSVLTS has teamed up with Lucasfilm and The Star Wars brand to launch three uniquely designed shirts that depict fan-favorite characters and backdrops inspired by the hit Disney+ show The Mandalorian.
The collaboration will debut alongside the kickoff of Mando Mondays, in which RSVLTS will participate, all in celebration of the launch of Season 2 of The Mandalorian on October 30, only on Disney+.
The Star Wars x RSVLTS Collection inspired by The Mandalorian will be available online starting October 26, in conjunction with the first Mando Monday, RSVLTS is releasing the first batch of their The Mandalorian-inspired Collection—three uniquely designed button-down shirts, all within their trademark all-over print style and featuring their patented KUNUFLEX™ fabric that can only be described as soft, stretchy, and radical. Like all RSVLTS collaborations, these shirts feature an Easter egg or two hidden throughout the design, which will be a delight for The Mandalorian superfans.
While supplies last, the first few hundred RSVLTS shirts purchased in any style will be shipped in special packaging that features a Beskar Steel print on the box/wrapping paper, a nod to the Mandalorian’s preferred alloy of choice.
We caught up with the creators of RSVLTS to get all the behind the scenes information on how this collaboration happened. Check out our interview after the jump.
The Knockturnal: For those who are not familiar with your brand and are too lazy to google where does the name RSVLTS come from?
RSVLTS: RSVLTS/Roosevelts is an homage to Teddy Roosevelt, whom we consider a legend on so many fronts, and was the driving inspiration behind the brand back when we were dreaming of what should be the company’s center of gravity. You’ll see his likeness throughout a lot of our apparel, and way back when we couldn’t afford the full name URL, but the vowel-free identity really came into its own so we decided to run with it full steam ahead!
The Knockturnal: What was the inspiration behind the idea to get into the apparel business?
RSVLTS: It’s quite incredible actually – it was born out of a cease and desist for one of our early releases, which funny as it might be, the same studio then immediately offered us partnership because while they weren’t happy with the specific item we wanted to produce, they recognized what we were trying to do was interesting and fresh, so wanted to make it official. Nonetheless, we always wanted to make apparel that would speak to our friends and family, that would ultimately start a conversation among fans, and we couldn’t be more proud of how the brand has evolved over the years.
The Knockturnal: We see that you have a Halloween tab on your website, what are some of your must-haves from RSVLTS that we should be checking out?
RSVLTS: Yes, our Halloween items are pretty great and we love thinking about how we can create items for the season that are functional but also make a statement. The Shining apparel, in particular, is a great representation of that point of view, which sold out in literally 4 minutes a few weeks back, but I’m also a big fan of the David S. Pumpkins shirt from the iconic Tom Hanks SNL skit, which is just an incredible design with a few little easter eggs hidden throughout the shirt like we always do with our all-over-print designs.
The Knockturnal: We’re all such big Star Wars fans, how did you team up with Lucas Films and Disney on this collaboration?
RSVLTS: Likewise, everyone at RSVLTS are massive Star Wars fans, so it’s been a dream partnership for us for a while, and late last year we connected with Lucasfilm/Disney and they were interested in a collab. So we flew out to California, met with the various teams, and started to dream together on what we thought could be some really great properties to create around…Pixar and Star Wars being the first out the gate, but stay tuned for more!
The Knockturnal: The Mandalorian and Star Wars have a very rich history of characters and content. How did you go about picking the designs for the collaboration?
RSVLTS: That’s an excellent question – we of course have to give credit to the visionaries behind the characters because some really just speak for themselves based on the lore already created. But then we talk extensively at the office about what would be our take and vision on their existence, especially as fans too, what would be their unique moment within our RSVLTS universe. For example, we created the Beskar Steel design from scratch, we had a vision for it to be both apparel and packaging, which was really fantastic to see it all come together in tandem.
The Knockturnal: Will, there may be a part 2 to this drop and if so, what could we possibly expect?
RSVLTS: There’s going to be another little drop in a few weeks with a few more designs for Mando, but otherwise it’s a little early just yet to share what’s ahead for 2021. But we’re always thinking ahead and absolutely want to keep the momentum going based on this launch, so stay tuned and follow along with us on the journey!
● LAYERS – $65 – The Mandalorian features some of the most amazing landscapes we’ve seen in the Star Wars galaxy. We wanted to pay homage to the sandy, western feel of the show, while also embedding designs of the titular hero within the pattern.
● THE CHILD – $65 – This design speaks for itself. The Child has become a global phenomenon and we wanted to bring the joy of everyone’s favorite 50-year-old baby with a simple and classic long sleeve shirt.
● MANDO MONTAGE – $65 – This shirt includes artwork featuring the Mandalorian, the Child, Cara DuneTM, and Greef KargaTM. This little group is shaping up to be quite the tribe. After all, traveling the galaxy hiding from the Empire ain’t easy.
● THIS IS THE WAY – $65 – The Mandalorians were some of the most feared warriors in the galaxy and lived by a strict code, rarely removing their helmets. This shirt is an ode to the T-shape visor which became synonymous with the Mandalorian crusaders, a symbol of the prideful tribes of Mandalore who held combat as the cornerstone to their culture, their individual identity, and their spirit.
● BESKAR STEEL – $65 – This shirt focuses on one of the toughest and most legendary metals in the galaxy, Beskar. Also known as “Mandalorian steel,” this alloy is important for a Mandalorian as it’s used to make their armor, as seen in the series.
● HELLO FRIEND – $65 – This ultra-soft long sleeve tee is freezing a moment in time—the iconic scene where the Mandalorian and the Child meet.