On a bright and steamy summer afternoon in New York City, a few lucky invitees were transported to a mystical land.
By entering through a little door in West Village, guests forgot all about the sunny streets of the city and saw a glimpse of the Andalusian Mountains or even the Egyptian dessert. After entering into the pitch black space, guests saw the magic of The Alchemist come to life at the Donna Karan’s Urban Zen presentation.
The first step into the nomadic camp was being greeted by what could be a stylish member of The Arabian Nights who was serving green juice and sparkling water. After taking a sip or two, the attention shifted towards a feathered hooded creature. When taking a closer look, it was an elegant real falcon battling its wings to decorate the little desert oasis.
Other autochthonous accessories such as stunning Persian rugs and trinkets from all over the world helped set the tone for the main event, the clothes. What a spectacle. The setting and decorations might have been entertaining, but the spotlight was definitely on the delicate silhouettes and luxurious fabrics.
Following a series of designers, Donna Karan also presented a fall/winter 16 collection.
“Everything is accessible to us-here, today, this minute, not six months from now. Presenting and experiencing our fall 2016 collection in September with press and directly to the consumer, all at once. No delay. I’ve always said that’s how a customer wants to shop, and that’s how I’m showing. The new season is in season. Enjoy,” said Donna Karan.
It is no surprise that the industry is drifting towards a see now buy now philosophy. Fashion shows are available to stream live, and no one wants to wait six months to be able to wear those pieces. In this collection, for example, people were excited to touch the reversible suede-to-shearling coats and then head right to the boutique and purchase them.
There was a shearling cross neck jacket in wine, with a leather toggle belt in mud, paired with a side drape skirt in wine that looked perfect for any urban nomad wondering the chilly streets of New York this fall. Reflecting in Donna Karan’s personal style, beautiful beaded necklaces adorned many of the looks giving it a more fun aspect.
The final details that wrapped everything together harmoniously were the hair and makeup. Models had a deep smokey eye with highlighted cheekbones and neutral lips. The hairstyles ranged from messy buns to messy natural hair that fit perfectly with the alchemist theme.
Jorge Luis for L’ANZA Healing Haircare created two different styles. The first with luxurious, long cascading hair with a raw, desert-inspired organic texture. The second featured sensual, loosely pinned topknots with strands casually escaping down the back of the neck.
How the Look Was Created
- Mix a good-sized amount of L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Dry Texture Spray with a small amount ofL’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment in palms, and apply to almost–dry hair to create texture, hold, and keep it soft.
- Work deep under hair and at roots, starting at the back, massaging in with tip of fingers.
- Rough-dry product into hair using blow-dryer aimed in random directions to set the product in (repeat the process for fine-textured hair).
- For the loose, windblown bun: Randomly draw up the hair and create a ponytail at the crown. Take medium sections, tease the hair, and spray teased sections with L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Dry Texture Spray. Create a loose bun, making sure to let the hair flow naturally and allowing loose strands to escape back down the neck.
- For longer textured looks: Mix three products in your palm: L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Dry Texture Spray, L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Lustrous Finishing Spray, and a touch of L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment.
- Tweak and pinch surface of hair with fingers around the front, then more lightly on rest of hair. This gives hold with an interesting “raw” texture with a healthy shine. “Make sure the look does not look overdone in any way, making sure to keep things soft,” said Jorge Luis.
- Finish all looks with a diffuse misting of clear new L’ANZA Color Illuminator Hair Brightening Spray to intensify and refresh haircolor and to brighten the hair under the lights.
Products Used to Create the Look
L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment
L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Hair Treatment builds body and strength with concentrated healing actives while replenishing moisture and restoring elasticity and shine. An ultra-healing blend of Keratin Protein and Phyto IV Complex combine to leave hair incredibly soft and smooth with a healthy, radiant shine. Ideal for all hair types, and free of sulfates, parabens, gluten and sodium chloride.
MSRP: $44.00 (100ml)
L’ANZA Healing Style Dry Texture Spray
L’ANZA Healing Style Dry Texture Spray is a light finishing spray heals hair to boost body, texture and give strong support for all hair types. The non-sticky, brushable formula also contains an invisible powder that absorbs oil without leaving a messy residue.
MSRP: $28.00 (300ml)
L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Lustrous Finishing Spray
Ideal for all hair types, L’ANZA Keratin Healing Oil Lustrous Finishing Spray provides a long-lasting, firm hold. Fast-drying, flake-free and humidity resistant, this finishing spray also adds instant shine along with UV protection for hair color.
MSRP: $28.00 / (350ml)
L’ANZA Color Illuminator Hair Brightening Spray
L’ANZA Color Illuminator Hair Brightening Spray is the first instant hair color brightener. Clear and weightless it quickly revives hair color without the need to apply new color. Using cutting-edge technology, a quick mist makes hair color look “salon fresh,” and gives dull or fading hair color vivid, vibrant life – all while providing healthy, radiant shine.
MSRP: $34.00 (100ml)