Find out how to achieve Demi Lovato’s lived-in look from the 2016 GRAMMYs with hairstylist to the stars Clyde Haygood.
I was so happy when Demi told me she was ready to go for it and let me use my creativity to work with herhair. Demi rocks her short haircut like no other, but I love a girl, especially one as iconic as her, who is willing to experiment and try different options!
We wanted to keep with Demi’s current carefree aesthetic, so we turned her short cut into a longer, “unfussed” version of itself.
1. With Demi’s crazy schedule and her Grammy performance rehearsals before the red carpet, there was no time to shampoo her hair, so I called upon BigSexy Hair Full Bloom to refresh and give her hair fullness and volume. I blow-dried Full Bloom into her bangs and the side pieces that frame her face to bring them back to life. This product works great to thicken hair, and it smells incredible for any second-day hair.
2. With limited time and Demi having ‘bobbed’hair (which is the most difficult to break up with extensions), I chose to use a half fall on the back of her hair to cover the bluntness and blend her own front into it. I used tape-in extensions on the sides of her natural hair to give length and to better blend in her natural hair. Before putting in the half fall, I prepped it with Style SexyHair Slept In Texture Crème throughout to get piecey separations and to give it a “real” and “lived-in” look.
3. To achieve a natural-looking blend of her real hair and the extension pieces, I twist the real and extension pieces together around a 1½ inch hot iron. This helps them lock together and ultimately blend in better.
4. For the finish, I used Big Sexy Hair Get Layered Flash Dry Thickening Hairsprayto complete the “lived in” airy feel and to keep her hair in place. I absolutely love this product! For a hairspray, there is no stickiness, and it brushes out amazingly well!
5. Demi tends to live a clean and healthy way of life, so I sent her home with HealthySexy Hair Sulfate-