Wax and pomades have always been two of the go-to products for a lot of people when it comes to hair styling.
This product and others similar to it are meant to provide hold and security to your hairstyle and make it stay in place for more hours. However, there are indeed downsides to such products as most of them make your hair look oily, stiff, fake, and washing the product off can be a struggle.
The thing with hair products like waxes and pomades is that they work well on certain types of hair and hairstyles. Sometimes, even your hairstylist cannot help you achieve the perfect look if you keep using the wrong product. In today’s article, we will be talking about the dispute between hair wax and pomade and why you should only focus on using the latter to style your hair. These products may seem almost identical but in fact, the discussion is a lot deeper than that.
About Hair Pomade
Hair pomade has become a more and more popular option for people everywhere. It’s very important to know that usually, this hair styling product comes in two types: Petroleum formula and water-based pomade. The latter leaves the hair a lot stiffer and with less shine but it’s the most versatile option. It’s also a lot easier to wash out from the hair and overall better for the health of your scalp. The Petroleum type is basically grease, meaning a lot more shine and a pretty strong hold for your hair.
In case you are not sure what brand of hair pomade to use, check out this best pomade for thick hair list. The main thing that you should be aware of is that pomade works best on dry and dull hair. Also, you can re-shape your hairstyle throughout the day without worrying about ruining it.
About Hair Wax
Wax can be a rather confusing hair styling product if you usually ignore the ingredients written on the package. In fact, hair wax contains beeswax and Lanolin wax. While this product may not stiffen your hair at all, the downside is that your hairstyle won’t last for too long. You can always re-apply it if you feel like you need more but be careful to never do it while your hair is still wet!
This type of hair styling product offers a lot more control over your hair by not making it stiff. Check out this list of some of the best hair waxes which are perfect for styling your hair.
Why Choose Pomade Instead of Wax for Styling Your Hair
Hair pomade has become a more preferable option for people nowadays because it provides more security to the hairstyle and makes it look perfect throughout the day. Busy day to day lives have pushed people to go for this product and leave behind wax or even gels. However, hair pomade has a few clear advantages over hair wax and some of those might have been the reason why people’s preferences have changed over the past few years:
- Hair pomade offers better luster and shine than hair wax;
- It’s the best alternative to create that trendy slicked back hairstyle;
- You can always re-shape your hairstyle throughout the day;
- It doesn’t dry out or make your hair rock solid;
- Excellent for all types of hair but especially for dull-looking and dry hair;
- It provides excellent hold without making your hair stiff;
- It has moisturizing and nourishing hair care properties;
- Many manufacturers nowadays sell hair wax but call it hair pomade to attract customers. Be careful about the ingredients because the labels don’t usually lie.
Why Give Up on Hair Wax Now
Hair wax is still a good product, but you can choose the better alternative nowadays, which is clearly pomade. There are a few reasons why hair wax might not be the best choice for your hair:
- It dehydrates your hair and damages its texture;
- It offers that stiff, rock-solid look to your hair which can look unnatural;
- It’s difficult to evenly distribute it in your hair;
- After a few hours, it dries out in your hair and you might end up with a not very attractive hairstyle.
So, it seems that both of these hair styling products, which are of a similar nature, have their ups and downs. However, considering the general and expert opinion, hair pomade might be the better choice for you. It all depends on your personal preferences and what you want from a hair styling product such as those. Balance your options and choose wisely.