The Queens of R&B skipped the red carpet this year, preferring to slay once inside of the venue. Rihanna scored a win last night for her collaboration with the five-time winner of the night, Kendrick Lamar, on their song “LOYALTY”. The Bad Gal walked on stage to accept her award in a chocolate latex trench coat, simple yet still one of the biggest style moments of the night.
The leading singer, actress, and fashion designer, got her hair styled by Celebrity Stylist, Yusef Williams with Matrix StyleLink, Biolage R.A.W. and ghd. Read his inspiration below:
- What inspired today’s look?
- Because of the vibe of Rihanna’s performance was fun and whimsical, we wanted to create a very chic studio54 inspired look.
- Did you have any references for the look? Any specific inspiration?
- Rihanna and I were inspired to create this Disco Diva look by queens like Donna Summers and Diana Ross. The idea was to make Rihanna look like a fluffy dream
- What products were used to achieve the look?
- I prepped her hair with the Biolage R.A.W. Frizz Control Styling Spray and then used the ghd air hairdryer ($199, ghdhair.com/us) to add some volume and then used the new ghd gold professional styler ($199, launching Feb. 1st) to smooth out the root and get rid of flyaways. Then I used the new ghd gold professional styler and ghd classic wave wand ($199, ghdhair.com/us) to create voluminous curls and waves. To set the curl, I used Matrix StyleLink Style Fixer, the Matrix StyleLink Airy Builder and the Matrix StyleLink Smooth Setter
- How long did the process take?
- About 45 minutes
- What was the trickiest part of creating this style?
- My team and I have been planning this whole thing for about a week. We styled Rihanna and all the background dancers so a lot of thought and work went into this